Saturday 12 December 2015

More Poems... Again!

I've been scribbling away over the past week or so, and I hope you enjoy these varied poems. I have decided not to do an Advent Calendar this year, because I was so terrible at updating it last year... But I have taken on the Wattpad #JustWriteIt challenge, so I will be releasing a short Christmas story later on in the month. You can find it on my Wattpad page - under the same name - at any time. 

Fast Lily 
As delicate as a 
Veil of frost and a rosy
Blush lightening the pale cotton.
Tall, slender, curving gracefully,
Taking life it its sultry stride.

But what happens when Lily takes
Life in the fast lane?
Leaping before she looks?
Running even though she cannot walk?
Finding friends who are cuckoos
And bindweed. Finding 
Love in the toad's belching cry.
Finding joy in the smoke of a
Thousand fires, and in the brew of
Sour light.

Lily withers. She decays at the roots.
She cannot support herself.
She delicately shrivels.
A shadow of a girl.
And when the stem snaps
And when she falls
The cuckoos have left.

The dead flower
Is alone again.
But a different alone.

Believe
Believe is a tiny word
And yet
It means everything 
To everyone.
Do you believe?
Or do you
Not?
Is it magic that exists?
Or is it ghosts?
Does God float in your mind
In a way
That centaurs and goblins
Don't?
Or does it simply mean
You trust a lie?
You deny an friend?
You allow creativity to mask
The broad lines of reality
So painstakingly knitted
To lacquer truth and 
Invade your head.
But belief can just be 
The love for imagination
A love for dreams
A love for the chance
To create
Your own reality.

Escape
I was trapped in
My own head.
A fortress of disbelief
And hatred for my faults.
Locked with my own key,
The bars made of misery
The window set higher than 
I could ever reach.
So I waited.
Waited.
For that shining prince
To arrive and save me like
We are all told will happen.
So I waited.
Then, as I dined upon
Regret and low confidence,
I realised.
There is no prince. 
Only me.
I pulled down the bars
And tore dow the door
I lowered them to a height that
Even I hadn't sunk to.
I was still trapped, though,
Despite stripping down those
Memories of decay, and only I
Could build a ladder.
I scavenged.
I hunted.
I scoured.
Then I found a shred of what I needed.
Hope.
It wasn't quite enough.
But I grasped it with 
Both hands and 
Clung on tight.
Then I discovered pride.
Then courage.
Then faith.
Soon my ladder grew.
One rung.
Two.
Then more.
The window I had raised was
Getting shorter.
Until finally
I could reach.
I grasped the sill like
I had grasped at hope
At the bottom of the ladder.
And I pulled my body
Into 
The day.
And suddenly
I was 
Free.

 

1 comment:

  1. COMMENT ABOUT: Have you taken a look at Wattpad yet? It has online stories written by ordinary people free for reading, and I think it is brilliant for introducing people into the world of writing and reading.

    ReplyDelete